Honsbridge Speech Day Jun 19, 2010 (Saturday)

Dear parents and students,

The Speech Day Barbeque was held on the Jun 19, the action packed event started at 15:30 as badminton telematch, graduation ceremony, speeches and presentation, prize giving and barbeque party filled the day and evening with much excitement for everyone! Indeed, speech day does not necessary need to be all speeches and performances.

Our Speech day marked the amazing journey of Honsbridge Academy. We celebrated Honsbridge's inaugurable graduation for our students who have completed the One year express O Level program. It was also a time for us to give thanks to all who have helped to attain our success today. The outstanding achievements of our graduates will invariably inspire our current students to attain theirs.

I like to share with students who were absent, a speech given by their senior, Lauren Tan in recognition for her outstanding academic achievements - 5 As in her Trial O Level Exams on the Express O level Program.

"Good evening teachers, parents and friends,

I joined Honsbridge In 2009 and at that time, I was their first student.

I was previously in a homeschooling centre so when the time came for me to prepare for my O levels, they didn’t provide the needed guidance. That was a very stressful time for me because I had nowhere to go. My mum and I did a lot of searching and called many tutors and tuition centres but none were suitable. Luckily, my mum stumbled upon Honsbridge through the internet. We decided to just take a chance and meet up with the tutors.

I remember meeting Ms Emma and Ms Alicia at Starbucks, opposite to Honsbridge, as it was not ready yet. It was still being painted. I guess I can say that I had the privilege of seeing Honsbridge in its making.

When I met Ms Emma, I was very impressed because she was the only person who could give me a clear explanation about the differences between the IGCSEs and GCEs. Also, as she told me more about the academy, I was greatly encouraged because commitment and dedication was evident.

During my time in Honsbridge, I have seen the “family” grow bigger and bigger. I have met many wonderful people on the way. There have been many ups and downs, but in the end, there is always a lesson to be learnt. It has definitely been a rewarding journey.

If I were to describe the atmosphere here in one word, it would be “motivating”. The way the teachers believe in us is so encouraging. It still amazes me how they manage to always keep their spirits up and keep us motivated.

I also want to take this opportunity to thank my parents because without them, I wouldn’t have been able to come to this academy. They have never pressured me to get the best grades, but have always trusted that I would do my very best.

I have learnt that our teachers’ responsibility is to guide us, not to guarantee our success in doing well academically. That is our job, as students. There is no shortcut. We must put in extra time and hard work if we wish to achieve top grades. Most importantly, I feel that we should study hard for ourselves, and not for anyone else.

Again, I’d like to express my gratitude to Honsbridge – the perfect solution for a homeschooler. So thank you Ms Emma, Mr Dom, Ms Jenny and all my friends who have made Honsbridge a more colorful place for me.

As for the rest of the students who will be continuing to study here, I wish you good luck in your upcoming O levels.

Before I end my speech, I’d like to leave a quote with you guys. This is by Somerset Maugham and it says “It’s a funny thing about life; if you refuse to accept anything but the best, you very often achieve it”. So friends, strive for the best and I have confidence that each and every one of you will be able to do well!

Thank You.", from Lauren Tan

Meet the graduates in the original post here

The love and togetherness as the Honsbridge family have warmed the hearts of many. As teachers, we adore and strive to develop the most of our students. Together with the fun loving and eager to learn students, we can achieve greatness!

Emma for Honsbridge

Popular posts from this blog

One and Two Year O Level/ IGCSE Programme

What is GCSE, IGCSE and O Level in Malaysia context?

Best Wishes for the O Level/ IGCSE Exams Oct 2010