“IGCSE/O Level Chemistry ”

To all the chemistry students/chemistry-to-be-students, I will be touching on these topics in the next few posts, which i hope you will find informative.

“Why study Chemistry?”

“How to do well in IGCSE/O level Chemistry”

“Chemistry workshop(s) for Cambridge IGCSE/O levels in 2009”


Why study Chemistry?

This, I have a lot to share because I have studied Chemistry from Cambridge O level to the Masters level; I have also taught many Chemistry students at the BMC Academy and St. Francis Academy in Singapore as well as private tuitions. On retrospect, I dedicate this post to Mr. Chong (who has helped me in my Chemistry A levels, Sunway College); Prof Igor Novak, Prof Andy Hor and Prof Vivian Yam (who have helped me in my Bachelor Degree with Merit, National University of Singapore and University of Hong Kong); Dr. Stachulski and Dr. Greeves (who have helped me in my Master Degree with Distinction, University of Liverpool). All of whom I have the deepest gratitude for their teaching and admiration for their passion in Chemistry. Chemistry is for life, indeed for them!

Reading Chemistry at O level helps very much in learning difficult concept and applying it to practice. If one can do well in Chemistry, you can do well in any subject (quote me). Simply because, if you can understand Chemistry and able to answer questions well. You have mastered the king of all subjects, Chemistry and the rest is simply stamp collecting (You can tell I am Chemistry biased!)

First of all, when you pick up an O level Chemistry book, you have almost certainly the attitude to learn and better yourself. When you pursue Chemistry into higher level, your attitude towards knowledge seeking improves and with it comes application to problems. Above all, your analytical skills are enhanced whilst doing your theoretical questions and practical experiments. Hence, your attitude towards learning will be greatly enhanced, because you are challenged when understanding difficult chemistry concepts.

Secondly, a lot of employers are looking for candidates with problem solving, analytical skills and the potential ability to pick up knowledge, with it comes competency in the role. As a Chemistry student, you can demonstrate all these abilities by demonstrating your learning attitude towards Chemistry; how you have applied knowledge to problem solving in the examinations, and gained analytical skills while carrying out practical experiments.

Above all, consider the career options that a chemistry graduate has. The options are wider than you can ever imagine. You can be a teacher, chemist, investment consultant or any role that fits your high ability to learn and apply, analytical skills and bachelor qualification. This, I can share with confidence because I have the fortune to learn and apply my role well in various line of work when I was in Singapore, Hong Kong, United Kingdom besides Malaysia.

At Honsbridge Academy, in combination with positive attitude towards learning and sound academic background, you will receive our full support to making chemistry concepts easy to understand. Most importantly, we can help you score well in your examination. This applies to all available subjects at Honsbridge Academy.

Popular posts from this blog

One and Two Year O Level/ IGCSE Programme

What is GCSE, IGCSE and O Level in Malaysia context?

Best Wishes for the O Level/ IGCSE Exams Oct 2010